Guardianship Elder Law at Huffman Law Offices


If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

the Dalai Lama

Taking Control of Your Parents’ Affairs

If your elderly mother, father or family member can no longer manage his or her own finances or health care, Huffman Law Offices, P.C., can help you assert guardianship to protect their interests. Our professionals also advise clients on life care planning and estate planning matters once a court has appointed you to be in charge.

Maryville attorneys Brian Huffman and Michelle Weber along with our team of professionals represent clients in the East Metro and Central Illinois. We guide you through the process and explain your legal obligations as guardian and/or conservator.

Compassionate Guardianship Lawyers in Maryville, Illinois
Free Initial Consultation • Toll-Free: 866-842-3430

Establishing Guardianship

When adult family members become disabled or mentally incapacitated, they are vulnerable to harm from themselves or others. When it’s necessary to intervene, guardianship is a formal legal process that puts you legally in control of their affairs. Our lawyers assist clients in petitioning the court to establish one or both of the following:

  • Guardianship over the person — responsibility for decisions about medical care, nursing care and other personal matters
  • Guardianship over the estate (sometimes called conservatorship) — management of financial and business matters such as bank accounts and retirement funds, bills and taxes, and transactions

The court may appoint a guardian ad litem to ensure that guardianship is in the best interest of your loved one. Our attorneys and elder care consultant help obtain a doctor’s formal evaluation that the person is mentally incompetent, and attend the guardianship hearing with you.

Once you are designated as guardian, we can assist in periodic reporting to the court on expenses and decisions on behalf of the ward. We can also help with nursing home planning and other considerations, such as a special needs trust.

Has the Time Come?

It’s a tough decision and big responsibility to essentially become a parent to your parents. Is it too soon? Does a sibling disagree? Is your incapacitated parent (or their healthy spouse) resisting? Margaret Huffman, the Elder Care Consultant, can be especially helpful in assisting with evaluation of your loved ones situation.