Special Needs Planning at Huffman Law Offices

Special Needs Planning

You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.

Abraham Lincoln

Establishing a Special Needs Trust

Are you responsible for caring for a disabled child or a vulnerable adult? Huffman Law Offices, P.C., can help protect their assets in a way that they may still qualify for government disability programs.

We serve clients in Maryville, the East Metro area, and Central Illinois, and also practice in Missouri. Contact our knowledgeable professionals to discuss a special needs trust and other considerations.

Estate Planning and Guardianship Lawyers in Central Illinois
Free Initial Consultation • Toll-Free: 866-842-3430

Special Needs Planning

The federal government requires depletion of personal assets before qualifying for Medicaid funding for a group home, assisted living facility, or nursing home. By placing that person’s assets in a special needs trust, you can assure his or her future care and still preserve Medicaid and Social Security eligibility.

If the family member is disabled because of an accident or injury and received a lump-sum judgment or structured settlement, we can likewise arrange for the proceeds to be placed in a special needs trust. This may require approval from the state; we can help keep those assets safe from spend-down requirements.  We also work in conjunction with the PI Attorney(s) to ensure proper handling of settlement proceeds.

Our estate planning and elder law attorneys bring years of experience with trusts and knowledge of asset management strategies.